1. Your Privacy is important to us.
2. What information we collect and hold.
The Salvation Army Papua New Guinea performs many functions and provides a wide-range of services and programs across Papua New Guinea. We will only collect personal and sensitive information that is necessary for us to carry out these functions and provide these services and programs. The type of information we may collect and hold varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected, but may include:-
- Supporters – as a supporter of The Salvation Army’s mission and activities, we may need to collect your name and contact details. As a valued financial support of our fundraising activities, we may also need to collect your bank account or credit card details.
- Service recipients, program participants or clients of our other services, as a recipient of, or participant in, one of our many services and programs, (such as House of Hope, social or other services and programs), we may need to collect your name and contact details, information regarding your health, income status, religious beliefs and emergency contact details.
- Employees and Volunteers: as an employee of or volunteer for The Salvation Army, we may need to collect information about your name and contact details, bank account and taxation details, qualifications, previous experience and emergency contact details
3. How we collect and keep safe your personal and sensitive information.
This depends on the purpose for which it is collected but may include the collecting of:-
- Copies of your written correspondence with us.
- Copies of receipts and /or transaction records in relation to your financial support of our fundraising activities.
- Copies of your application form, request for assistance and/or other associated documents (including documents generated during your participation in a program with, or otherwise during your interactions with us) and information that you may provide to us in relation to one of the many services and programs we offer, and
- Copies of your volunteer agreement or employment agreement and any associated documents and information your provide to us in connection with your volunteering for or employment with The Salvation Army.
We may keep copies of the above documents (in physical or electronic form) as is necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. All personal and sensitive information is securely stored at all times by us and only authorised personnel will have access to any documents and information.
4. Why we collect and hold personal and sensitive information.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal and sensitive information for purposes necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. Generally, these purposes include:
- To keep in contact with you as a supporter of The Salvation Army Papua New Guinea and to inform you about the role and extent of our work and mission.
- To manage our fundraising activities and for taxation record-keeping purposes associated with your donation to The Salvation Army Papua New Guinea.
- To provide you with the necessary care and assistance during your time as a resident of one of our centres.
- To provide you with the services requested by your from us.
- To comply with necessary business and accounting standards.
- To comply with our reporting obligations to any government agencies.
- To facilitate and manage your employment relationship or volunteer arrangement with The Salvation Army Papua New Guinea.
We are committed to maintaining your privacy and we will only use your personal and sensitive information for a permitted purpose for which we have collected the information.
You have the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym when dealing with us in relation to a particular matter, unless we believe it is impracticable to do so in the circumstances. If you wish to deal with us in this manner, you must tell us in writing so that we can consider if your request is practicable.
5. How we may share your information
If necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs, we may need to disclose your personal and sensitive information to external service providers (such as information technology service providers, legal service providers, other community service providers). These external service providers are strictly prohibited from using your personal and sensitive information for any purpose other than the purpose for which you have given us your personal and sensitive information.
6. What international disclosure do we make
The Salvation Army is an international movement with a presence in over 120 countries. While every effort is made to keep personal and sensitive information we hold in Papua New Guinea only, in order to carry out our functions and provide our programs and services we may need to disclose personal and sensitive information to overseas recipients. In the unlikely event such disclosure is required it will generally involve disclosure to international territories of The Salvation Army and only to the extent necessary to carry out our functions and provide our programs and services.
7. How you can access and seek correction of your personal and sensitive information.
You have the right to access your personal and sensitive information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to access or seek correction of your personal and sensitive information, please contact our Territorial Headquarters at PO BOX 1323, Boroko, NCD. For security reasons you will be asked to put your request in writing.