PNG Salvation Army History
The Salvation Army officially commenced in Papua New Guinea on 31st August, 1956. The first officers appointed to work in PNG were Major Keith and Mrs Major Edna Baker, and Lieut Ian Cutmore (now retired commissioner).
PNG was part of the Australia Eastern Territory for 38 years until it became an independent command on 4th July, 1994. It gained territorial status on 9th December, 2000.
In 2005, as the Army was approaching 50 years of service in PNG, the first national officers were appointed as territorial leaders: Colonels Andrew and Julie Kalai. Colonel Julie died in October 2006, while Commissioner Andrew Kalai remained as the territorial commander until his retirement in January 2013. Colonels Andy & Yvonne Westrupp are the current territorial commanders.